Re: Appreciating this Home was New W......

Miko wrote:
" If looping isn't the buzzword in Portland, consider a different
label—Newmuse; Deep Cover; Sonic-Art; Experimental (there it is again);
Art-Groove; Psychedelic, etc. Be subversive!"

I honestly have to strongly disagree with Miko (who I care about a lot
and respect immensely).

Live Looping (as intentionally differentiated from just looping - which
includes hip hop sample people and ablteon's live oriented DJs who
aren't manipulating pre made
loops live) is not a well known term yet so it can't possibly be a
buzzword...........YET.

It can, however, be a fantastic way to entice people to come and
coverage by journalists and radio people.

I think that if you get out and promote a small Northwest Live Looping
Festival that it will
be the novelty of the concept alone that will most interest journalists
and radio DJs or television people.

You will have to get good press to grow the scene and if you hammer this
concept (and I can send you all kinds of amazing press that
we've gotten already around the country and some in Europe) home, and
let people know that this is a brand new way of approaching music
(relatively speaking of course as most people have been doing it less
than 5 or 10 years) that it's novelty alone will
generate a lot more interest than just a typical gig.

That's why I've always been successful at getting press: because I
specifically hammered home the communal nature of our movement; the fact
that
it is technologically bases as opposed to style or genre based and the
fact that many in the scene are actually causing big changes to happen
in the software/hardware world, so that, to a certain extent, the
musicians are leading the curve.

to call a three person gig a mini-festival has always rubbed some people
the wrong way (as Per Boysen points out, in Sweden festivals are thought of
culturally as large three day events) but I've done this very self
conciously and very successfully as a way of enticing interest and
bringing in
the press more successfully. In a way, if you see 10 people play 30
minute sets, it really has the vibe of a theme oriented festival.

Anyway, this has worked really successful in my promotion of live
looping as a 'movement'.