Re: Subject: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

Hey Per,
I use a permanent installation of
G1 - D1 - G2 - D2 - G3 - `B3
on one of my guitars and have a second one that i permanently retune
to similarly wide experimental tunings.
Combinations of very small and very large intervals between strings
are great to find beautiful and unusual chords.
I'm originally a piano player and the chord limitation and lack of
absolute overview was always something, that bugged me about guitar
playing - probably the reason why i don't have one guitar tuned to
standard tuning.
The Gmaj guitar is actually only occasionally tuned to G, oftenly i
find it much lower. I tune by ear, so it's usually somewhere in
between. I use the thickest strings i could find, Elixir strings from
two different sets mixed resulting in a span between a 62 as the low
string and a 13 or 14 as the highest. i tend tp leave strngs on the
guitar for years, unless they break, and found Elixir to have a very
nice aging curve in terms of how they sound then.
pling, pling, 'my six strings'
- - -
jayrope
http://www.kliklak.net