Re: OT: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

Howdy,

 When I wanted to learn mandolin so that I could make muzik ala Nash the
Slash, and FM, I tuned the mandolin to the middle 4 strings of a guitar.
Obviously, I couldn't use the note values of  the guitar so I just
transposed them down, (or up, i don't remember), to the most practical
open notes of the mandolin. You have to get used to the open chords being
in a different key, but it worked great for me. Fast forward to now,
recently bought an acoustic/electric mandolin and i'm going to be right in
the middle of FM country. Ben Mink and Nash the Slash are becoming quite
acheivable now.
rig