electrix MO-FX

Michael wrote:
".....i had never messed with the "band" buttons in the past but with a
bit of experimentaion this turns out to be a very useful tool, kept me
off the streets for an evening!.....so make a loop and send it into the
MO and change up the "band" buttons and see what happens.....perhaps i'm
the last person to discover this, if so, i'm sorry to waste your time
but if you haven't played with this, give it a shot, you may find it
useful....."

Yeah,   equalization is a really powerful  sculptor of sound.

Frankly,  I'm surprised that more stomp box pedals aren't made that just
have interesting twists on equalizing things in real time.
There is a dearth of equalizers that can be used rhythmically in real time.

I used to record a constantly swelling , dark, deep 20" crash cymbal
into my Electrix Repeater and then turn the volume off,
radically switch it's eq on my Mackie 1402VLZ board and then swell the
sounds up just to mute them on downbeats.

It's a great and simple effect and gives one, in essence,  a constant
'noise' source to play with rhythmically.

I especially love that the Electrix MoFX and Filter Factory had huge
drum machine style buttons, intended to be hammered on that
would either mute the effect when it was turned on, or temporarily turn
the effect on when it was turned off.

There's an endless source of 'drummistic' possibilities to be had by
rhythmically playing an effect in this way.

I was sad that the Electrix EQ killer was never made into a larger unit
with that type of functionality.

Usually melodic instrumentalists don't explore this kind of territory
because it precludes being able to play your axe with
two hands but when you put the effect after your looper then it's a
great trick to use,   especially if you have a 2nd looper later in your
chain.

Currently,   I"m running a DL4 at the start of my pedal board ,   a DL4
at the end (for resampling or using as a digital delay)
and then all of that into the Looperlative for major mangling.

In between,  I have my DOD Buzz Box and my Zvez Fuzz Factory and
frequently I just toggle these rhythmically
with my feet to create cool new rhythmic loops.

In fact, in my Aether Engine, noise and rhythm project which I'm
debuting live this coming Monday (boy, am I nervous!!)
I'm mostly using distortion, EQ and rhythm to make the lions share of
the music.

I allowed myself a marching bass drum and a marching snare drum and some
assorted pieces of metal
to augment my Strat and my Robelli 12 string electric bass guitar.

Let's hear it for equalization.