Re: GAIN STRUCTURE

A good rule of thumb is that output gain should be as hot as possible with input gain as low as possible.

Start with the last item in the chain and turn the input gain to 0. Plug the next last machine into it and turn output as far as you can without distorting the input. Rinse, repeat ...

 Ian

Hmm this is new to me... I ALWAYS try to get my input as high as possible... how can this be true... Im sure that its none of the gear, and just a question of getting very precise levels...

but your answers are throwing up more questions...

Now, A guitar.. thats instrument level right?

So then it goes into a vortex... thats what?.. the same?? Instrument level.. So I agree I should go to the manual, but what numbers mean what?
Is +4 line an - 11 instrument?

However, I suspect that actually everything is instrument level...

Except.. wait!!!

Both my EDP effects (the redsound federation and the Roland ef 303) are actually aimed at DJ's... therfore have phone plugs... so what does that make them?

OH.. And one more question about SEND LEVELS:
One each channel of the mixer there is a send knob, but there is an overall send level.
What is better, keeping the overall knob really high and just dialling in a tiny amount of level per channel?
OR the reverse, turning the send FULL UP to send to the loopers, and having the overall level really low...
OR... Having both low and turning UP the EDP input level control,
OR having both really HIGH, but keeping the edp level really really low...

or what?

I am of course gonna try eveything... but im interested in the theory from the really clever people here...

www.markfrancombe.com
http://vimeo.com/user825094
http://uk.youtube.com/user/markfrancombe
http://www.myspace.com/markfrancombe