NUGGETS of WISDOM for LOOP TOURING

Rainer asked:
"Really, Rick, is there (and has there been all the time) a subsidy on

(car) gasoline prices in the U.S. for all your respective lives?
Meaning that the vendor actually gets a guaranteed price on gas which
will be achieved by using taxpayer's money if the market doesn't
reflect that guarantee?

I'm asking because here in Germany (which is part of Europe, and hence
part of your counterexample), the tax portion on gas (including all
those crazy taxes the invented from time to time) is above 60%, which
may appear odd, destructive and all in all rather true to Stalinistic"
ideals which, in fact, it is."

Interesting, Rainer, I really don't know an in depth informed answer to
that question.

I do know that while in Europe,  Petrol was between $3 and $4  per liter.

At $12 to $16 a gallon (all of this approximate because my head cold
precludes me getting out
my calculator)  that is now 6 to 8 TIMES as expensive as it is here
(currently,  $2/Gallon)

That can't all be just the high taxes you guys pay, though surely that
must be some of it.

I've always understood that the big Oil Companies have had big subsidies
and also
that they have ridiculous tax write offs compared to normal folk.

My father,  who did research it, always said that American gasoline was
subsidized which was
part of what makes European and UK gasoline so expensive.   Add the 60%
tax and you guys
really pay through the nose for it.

Any Americans know the exact skinny on this subject?

I'm just talking from
assumptions I"ve made all my life and the fact that gas is so cheap here.

For one thing,  lacking any kind of decent public transportation except in
the largest of cities
and a train system that very, very few people ride and given the huge
distances between cities, especially
out here in the West of the US,   we just wouldn't be able to get around
if gasoline cost as much as it costs
you.

I love your train and subway system!