Re: OT That 'sizzle sound' of Mp3s

Mark,

I WANT that sleeve, being carefull with it, putting it on, waiting, and listening with a big cup of tea/beer/spliff (tick relaxant of choice

I used to think I did, too. But I have to admit I've changed my mind on that score. The ease and flexibility - not to mention availability - of MP3s and similar is just too enticing. It helps that here in Denmark, the largest phone/net company (TDC) offer free music downloads with their phone and net accounts (admittedly it's DRM infested WMVs, but there are ways around that), so having access to 4 million plus songs for free and legally gives one a rather different perspective. I haven't bought a CD in over a year (from buying 10-15 per month). Coupled with an eMusic account and various freebie sites, my musical appetite is well and truly filled.

As to sound quality, I have an Apple-TV coupled to my serious mid-fi stereo system. Yes, I can hear a difference to the CD. But I certainly could't say which is 'better'. I'm over 40, so I can't hear much over 12 kHz anyway ... IMO, anyone who claims to be able to hear any meaningful quality difference between 192+ kbps MP3 and CD (through decent hardware) is either deluded or lying.

I must be honest, that since I downloaded EVERY Beatles album, I havent listened to them, since I downloaded EVERY Aphex twin Album I havent listened to him... and since I downloaded 80 albums by Merzbow, I certainly havent listened to HIM!!!

BTDT. I've listened to them all. Several times. Still can't see what all the fuss is about with those Beatle chaps though ....

The guys in my office, listen on iPod.. OK fair enough, I cant do that... and for that the mp3/iTunes combo os fine.. EVERYTHING is available, but you load yer device.. theres yer choice..

An iPod is a godsend if you have 2+ hours train commute every day ... More or less useless for anything else.

Has anyone, every been to town, bought an album on mp3, sat on the trainunpacking it/ reading every word on the cover/ reading the lyrics, got home, went to room, put on record, laid on bed, played it loud... then played it AGAIN!!!

Apart from the going to town bit, in effect, yes!

Ian