Re: MASTER LIST of Least Costly Live Looping Solutions

The SOS of the DD20 is really a bare bones looper.  You press the
pedal to record your first loop, press it again to close it and start
it repeating.  Press the pedal again and you record as long as you
hold it down.  No feedback control or undo so its really a one way
kind of thing-forward to more.  I think the delay modes are probably
more suited to looping though they have been a bit tricky for me to
get comfortable with.  The simultaneous delays are pretty great in
that you can record a phrase with say 90% feedback and move to the
next delay bank.  The original loop will repeat and slowly decay
untouched by what you're now playing as that is being captured in the
second delay bank.  If you move forward once more though it terminates
the first delay so you kind of need to time your feedback so you can
move on without abruptly cutting off the delay (unless that's what you
want).  Of course once you advance to the next delay bank you're stuck
with whatever settings you had before you moved on, there's no going
backwards to change the settings.   You can also use the on/off pedal
to open and close a loop with the feedback set to 100% and mimic the
SOS only with the option of bending down and adjusting the feedback to
let the loop decay.

You can also mess with the loop length by tapping a new tempo once
you've got something going and that can get kind of interesting.

I don't use it as much as I probably should but it has a lot of
potential.  For simple looping I really prefer the DL4 but I can see
how if you learned the DD20 first if could really be one's primary
looper.

Kevin

--
Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Sound and Vision:  http://www.minds-eye.org NEW SITE 3/01/09