OT: making drum sounds out of not-drum sounds (e.g. ambient guitar/trombone stuff)

Dear loopers,

for another off-topic topic, I'd like to accomplish the following:

using the audio of an existing recording of avantgarde-ambient-ish
stuff, I'd like to generate sounds which can be used as drums.

E.g., by using a low guitar note, pitching it, using the evenlope,
filters etc. of a sampler, I'd like to make me a bass-drum proxy. Same
goes for a-la-snare and a-la hihat (or ride cymbal), and if possible,
some additional sounds as well.

Has any of you ever done something like this before? Any hints, a
full-blown howto, or link to an online resource?

Thanks,

             Rainer