Re: lilypond.org

Lilypond is, in my opinion, then best notation software available at
least in terms of the final output.  It just looks gorgeous.  After
printing some of my own transcriptions with Lilypond and growing
accustomed to the output, it's annoying to read published works
obviously typeset with inferior software.

Now, the downside is the learning curve.  Ultimately, the input
language is very powerful and pretty easy to use once you get used to
it, but for a beginner it's a pain in the rear.

The good news is that Lilypond's free so you can download it, learn
how to use it by typesetting a few small pieces, and see how you feel
about it.  If you don't like it, you've not lost anything but a little
time.

Todd