"MIDI looping" - Discrete Sequencing?

Hi,

I remember people having posted questions concerning "MIDI looping"
and I never really understood what that should be. But now I think I
have found out: it must be what also is knows as Discrete Sequencing!
I.e. when you create musical patterns by running different sequencers
for each aspect of the music. I just tried this with Numerology and
got hooked! :-))  Check out this live set I just recorded:

http://www.perboysen.com/Numerology2_20090506.mp3

I used three different "loops" to create
1) Pitch
2) Gate/Duration
3) Velocity

All three sequencers looping at different lengths, which gave a nice
organically evolving feel the the music. Gate/Duration created at a 4
16th note steps loop and Velocity at a 6 16th note steps loop. As for
Pitch I used 16 steps but then I had a second sequencer modulating
this sequencer at five two bar steps as well as an LFO randomizing the
16 pitch steps every two or three bar, something. This is all
happening in what Numerology calls "the CV domain", i.e. pure control
data. The final module is a "Note Generator Module" that creates MIDI
out of the CV streams so a soft synth can be driven. At the Note
Generator stage I'm also "quantizing pitch" into the key B major -
every note event taking on the pitch of the closest B major note.

If someone is interested in this, there is a good introduction (with
accurate references to Eric Tamm in "Robert Fripp : from King Crimson
to Guitar Craft" and gamelan) to read at
http://www.five12.com/t3.html

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se