Re: OT Creativity and Education: a thought provoking talk by Sir Ken Robinson at the TED CONFERENCE

Thanks Rick,

I enjoyed it. I really did, so take the following reactions in context.

My first reaction (as an educator) is that _my_ class inspires
creativity, but not everybody is happy with that. I'm lucky to teach
computer programming where I can give kids open ended assignments that
allow kids to merge math, physics, music and art. (I'll put in a plug
here for how wonderful processing from processing.org is. Check out
openprocessing.org for some great examples.)

The expectation of creativity can be a very intimating, and not all
children are comfortable with that. Think about it, in the extreme,
creativity in an academic environment can be "do something cool, and I
want it by Friday." I'd imagine for most of us on this list, that's an
appealing challenge, but many kids want structure, anonymity, and feel
paralyzed by the pressure to perform.

Before I got a full time job I got to substitute in a variety of
classrooms.  I was shocked how easily some students could write
spontaneous poetry or get up and dance, and how incredibly difficult
it was for others. You couldn't replicate the same lesson in a
different classroom with different students.

My second reaction is that education is constrained by group dynamics.
It's hard in a group of 30 or so to give individual freedom, and yet
to provide support and security for every child.

I also teach algebra on occasion, and well frankly, there is less room
for creativity there. Obviously, there is creativity and elegance in
math, but there are also standardized tools and algorithms, and I'd do
a disservice to the majority of students if I didn't cover them.

I find the contention that I should teach students what they need to
succeed in 2065 preposterous. I can teach kids what I know, and I can
create an environment that encourages them to experiment. I can't
solve the problems of drug abuse, teen pregnancy, cultural and social
alienation, or proselytize kids to change their sexual orientation. I
have a powerful, yet limited, position, and I'm often frustrated with
people who view "education" as the solution to every perceived problem
that society faces.

Ultimately we need to make our way through life, and we'll get some
support from our family, friends, community and school, and other
things we'll have to figure out ourselves.

OK, phew, I feel better now.

And yet, I did think that was a great talk. Thanks! : )

--
Art Simon
simart@gmail.com