Re: OT: proper way to hold you guitar - live video

Rainer Straschill wrote:
> So I noticed there's this general conflict how to hold your electric
> guitar, more specifically how long the shoulder strap should be.
> Generally it's accepted that while having a long strap looks cooler
> (and is thus indispensable for rock music), only with a short strap
> good command of the instrument is possible - that's why all the jazz
> cats etc. accept that they look stupid and have the guitar hanging at
> chest level.

I suppose that's the equivalent of wearing pants that come up to your
armpits, but it doesn't matter, because when you play jazz, nobody is
looking at where you hold your guitar. We (a jazz group I play with)
recently were looking at some gig pictures, and somebody commented that
when anybody, regardless of instrument, plays a jazz solo, they look
like they're, um, straining on the commode, though he didn't put it
quite like that. That's what the audience looks at.

Brian