Re: Exploring new Loooperlative features

At 4:12 PM -0700 5/10/09, William Walker wrote:
>Of course as you change sampling rates, you change loop speed, so
>its not capable of time stretch without pitch alteration.

"...by itself", you might add.  ;)

I've mentioned before that you can get time stretch effects by using
this function in the Looperlative along with another effect unit that
does pitch transposition.

It's simple: record a line, then (for example) drop it down one
octave.  This will slow the loop to half-speed at the same time.
Now, run it through a pitch shifter, and transpose back up an octave.
This will restore the loop to its original pitch, but it will remain
at half-speed.  Obviously, other pitch/speed transpositions produce
different results.

Two points: First, this is ridiculously easy to do with the LP1,
since there are the two Aux Outputs that can be used to shuttle loops
out to external units. If you're using the Looperlative with a mixer,
you can even route the transposed signal back into the input and
record/bounce to a new track.

Second, this ain't gonna get you pristine "studio-quality" time
stretch, but that's sort of the point, isn't it?  In fact, with all
the budget pitch shifters out there (many in cheezeball multi-effect
units), who knows what sort of interesting artifacting you're liable
to find by mixing and matching different devices.

At the very least, it's an interesting recipe for layering polyrhythms....

        --m.
--
_____
"Image is blasphemy. Text is heresy. The spoken word is a lie."