OT: Davis Dark Magus // Looping "outside"?

RE: "Dark Magus" is the Davis album to get!

i remember hearing about M. Davis' material from the 70's back in interviews
w/ various guitarists in GP in 80's, and then Davis' work came up again when
DT's "Prezens" disc came out...and i love the interplay of DT's band in the
improvised setting....so one day when i was at my fave used cd place (well
it used to be "records", although they still have vinyl there), and they
had the album "dark magus", said it was live from concerts in early 70s.
so i took a chance and bought it. wow, it's the densest material i've ever
heard. i'm not sure how to describe it. but it is good. now if my 80's beginning
to play guitar wanna be metal head self heard it, i probably wouldn't have liked
it, but i love it today (i think my ears are tuned to more sounds now, maybe i'm
mature or old or something....).the funny thing is that music is over 35 yrs old
& it sounds so now/contemporary to me its amazing....

RE:Looping is a way I have found.. Sometimes I wonder how "outside" you can play and still call it music...

i had a thought about this a few yrs ago when i was playing w/ different tunings & looping...
i'm not sure if i really came up w/ anything new outisde what Fahey (et al) or sonic
youth have probably explored, but it was mind opening for me, it did make me play differently,
chord shapes i knew sounded different obviously, the 2 thoughts i had was: well you can't
play cover tunes in these tunings (& i'm HORRIBLE @ playing covers) & my other thought in
this exploration was: why bother tuning at all? funnny thing after this i went back to
standard tuning (well standard down to D) and have been doing that ever since....
oh well...
s---
www.myspace.com/scotthansen
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5791548553161416906&hl=en