Re: WAY OFF TOPIC: recommendations for great science fiction written in the last 10 years?

At 10:53 PM +0900 5/24/09, Mech wrote:

>>He [Varley] is, imho,  the best genderless writer in all of Sci Fi
>>for my money.
>>My wife says his female characters are absolutely spot on and convincing,
>>which can be a big problem in male oriented Science Fiction.
>
>Uhm, IIRC, isn't John Varley actually a woman writing under a male
>pen name?  I believe that's how Varley is able to write such
>believable female characters.

Ah crumbs.  I just checked the Internets.  I guess that was just an
old urban legend that Varley was a woman.  Still writes female
characters better than just about any else in SF, though....

        --m.
--
_____
"when you think your dreams are shattered, it's time to dream new dreams"