Re: thinking about moving from rack to laptop...advice please!

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:23 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> I don't understand "crystal clear sounding" in this context.
> I get your point that Mainstage on OSX is giving better CPU
> usage than Bidule, but isn't it confusing to to equate the ability to
> perform a lot of process without getting clicks and dropouts with actual
> sound quality?

YEs, But I think I wrote somewhere that it relates to my typical use
of the gear. It's by no means a test. I didn't even use the two host
apps for the same task! Bidule is much more configurable but Mainstage
does one thing perfectly - and that's what I need, being a player
rather than a programmer. I would rather play one perfect instrument
than have access to a dozen "rather good" ones.

> Indeed, there aren't a bunch of high quality fx bundled with
> Bidule, that's certainly a factor.
>
> Is it possible to buy Mainstage without buying Logic?

Unfortunately it only comes as part of the Logic Pro Studio box. So
you buy into that whole concept - which I don't have a problem with
because I like to record and mix in Logic and pre master CD's in
Wave*Burner and even have use for the QuickTime Pro license that comes
with it. Oh, you have to buy a Mac to run any of those goodies, but
since I already have a Mac I don't have any problem with that either
;-)

> ...cos Logic ain't cheap.
I think it is incredibly cheap! I mean, if you need all that comes
with it it saves you so much money. And time.

per