Re: Preset Dump/Midi Saving?

At 5:08 PM -0400 6/2/09, donearlsto wrote:

>I have two pieces of equipment:  a Rocktron Prophesy and an All
>Access Midi Controller..
>I would like to save the settings from these two pieces of equipment....
>
>Isn't there a way I can connect from the MIDI out of these devices,
>directly to my  computer (Mac), and thus save the information
>directly on my laptop?  Thereby allowing me to load the data in the
>future directly from my laptop?

Well, the good news is: Yes, this is fairly common.  What you're
referring to is called a SysEx Dump.  You simply connect your device
via MIDI to your computer, begin recording on your sequencing
program, and start the dump.  Your sequencer will record it just as
any other MIDI, and then you can play back the dump to restore the
patches to your device.

The bad news is: SysEx Dump HAS TO BE SUPPORTED FROM THE HARDWARE
DEVICE.  Since you'd be initiating the dump from your Prophesy or All
Access, either/both of those two devices have to support SysEx.  Many
devices, especially controllers, don't bother with dump support.

You're going to need to pore through the manuals for your MIDI
controllers.  Search for anything referring to System Exclusive
(SysEx) information.  If you can find something on this, you've just
taken the first step toward accomplishing your task.

Likewise, if you can't find anything, then you're most likely going
to have to do it the hard way: with a pencil and paper, writing down
all your settings for each patch.

Ganbatte!

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of