Re: EDP and Logic Glitches

Daniel Hegarty wrote:
> Sorry to be a pest!
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on any avenues I could try, I'm really
> stuck on this one :(
>
> Thanks
> Daniel
>
> 2009/6/1 Daniel Hegarty <danielphegarty@googlemail.com
> <mailto:danielphegarty@googlemail.com>>
>
>     Hey Andy,
>
>     Thanks so much!
>
>     As per your request, I've made a diagram.

do you have a link for it?
mailing lists don't "do" graphics :-(
(you can just send it to me if you like(and to Per))

>I think this may push me
>     over the edge of a polite request for help, but this issue is waking
>     me sweating in the nights!
>
>     I've tried to include all the detail I can in the diagram, but I'd
>     like to address some of your points below:
>
>        1. You're correct about midi clock. It is being sent but I am not
>           utilising it. I'm setting the SUS messages to be just one
>           frame short of the full bar length. e.g on an 8 bar loop in
>           4/4, i'll set the note length to be 7 3 3 239. This seems to
>           work fine, as I've had issues whenever I've tried to send
>           concurrent messages to a single EDP.

Looks like you are using the clock for sync.
..but doesn't matter, it's not an edp problem

>        2. I use the GeneralReset at the beginning of each 'track' in the
>           set. As otherwise during rehearsal we have issues with their
>           being audio on moreloops=2 etc.

right

>        3. All midi commands in and out of the sequencer have their own
>           dedicated input/output and cable. I don't know a great deal
>           about midi merging so I'm not sure if that is the issue.

            it would seem that it isn't

>I'm
>           wondering if it's all to much for my dual core 2.6ghz MacBook
>           Pro with 4gb of RAM to handle. Sounds for the soft synths are
>           coming off an external drive via firewire 800. Perhaps a rack
>           mounted G5 would solve the problem! If perhaps I need to run a
>           slave sequencer just controlling the EDPs, is there one that
>           you suggest? I tried exporting the Midi files into Abletone
>           Live, but peculiarly the single frame reset notes didn't make
>           it! Very odd. I'm very comfortable with Midi editing in Logic
>           so it would be a bit of a learning curve to go elsewhere, but
>           at this point i'll try anything!

As I understand it ( so could be way off ;-)

You're using Logic to host soft synths played live, while it
also sends out sequenced midi to the EDPs.
When everything's running and you're playing in notes from your keyboard
the sequenced midi is dropping notes.

So it's not an EDP problem as such.

Without the diagram I'm kinda guessing.

1) Possibly it's logic can't handle all that live and sequenced midi
2) possibly the drivers for the midi interface are the problem
3) OSX could theoretically not be up to it.

If the audio isn't breaking up at all, then a "bigger" mac is
unlikely to solve.

So some tentative fixes for the above scenarios

1) a) ask on a Logic related forum, any bugfixes you need to install?
   b)Host the soft synths for live playing in a different host. (e.g.
Bidule)
2)a) make sure you have latest version of the drivers
  b) try an alternative (or additional) midi interface

andy