Re: how do your live mics respond to the PA?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM, FRO DIDDLY<parispro00@hotmail.com> wrote:
> ive yet to play a show, but my biggest concern is how big of a monkey
>wrench
> the house PA will throw into my mix, as i always play with headphones-
> for those who use microphones, do you notice the PA bleeding into your
>loops
> at all?

Yes.

When the input to the mic is open all sound bleed into the looping
rig. If stage monitors are used more is bled in.

> any suggestions/live experience?

Yes.

Always keep the mic input closed when not using the mic. This means
using a pedal, or equal, to open the mic path only for the notes you
sing into it. I found this method very good when I first used it for
guitar, playing a Stratocaster with its favorably positioned volume
knob that lets you close the input between the notes you play by
operating it with the right hand's little finger while using the other
fingers to play the strings. So it was natural for me to migrate this
live technique into a volume pedal when I began using a mic for flute
playing. Some folks prefer an on/off knob on a hand mic, but it's
still the same method.

> any recommendations for a good cardioid mic that rejects slapback from
>the
> PA?

No.

Greetings from Sweden