Re: Anyone into multi (frequency) band panning?

Per Boysen wrote:
>> Per Boysen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was just thinking about the option of slapping a multi frequency
>>> band panner on the main looper output (since the Mobius AU doesn't yet
>>> support separate track outputs) and was wondering if someone has
>>> experimented with this?
>>>
>>> No time for building this now though, hence the interest in hearing
>>> about other's experiences.
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:51 AM, andy butler<akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> Much easier to do it by simply putting an EQ on each channel.
>
> Certainly, but that's a different topic since we don't have separate
> channels in this case.

oops, sorry, first split mono into 2 identical channels
hard panned left and right.
Then apply complimentary filters to each

>To be specific, this is exactly what I'm
> intending:
>
> 1. Split a signal into a number of parallel paths.
> 2. In each path, apply a steep EQ to isolate a certain frequency band.
> 3. In each path, apply dynamic panning ("auto-pan" kind of processing).
> 4. Sum all paths into a final stereo output.

yep, understood.

just using 2 EQs is equivalent.
Could use graphic equalizer, or parametric peak/shelf
Just easier on proc usage.

Turning up a peak filter on the left of the stereo mix
while turning the same down on a the right is exactly
equivalent to splitting out that frequency range and
panning it somewhat left.

Another option would be to put a phase fx
with 100% wet effect onto one side of the stereo
mix.
That works really well.