Re: volume frustration

Hi Michael
I'll answer this the best I can.
As I understand it, there are a few different signal levels used by
different audio equipment, and they each have their place.
* instrument level - guitar instrument output to effect to amplifier
* microphone level -
* -10dB line level and  +4dB line level.
PA, mixer, stereo systems, sound reinforcement, computer sound card,
etc.   use line level.
I'm not entirely sure where headphones fit into this, but I know they
need some kind of driver (which must be built into your guitar, but not
the Verbzilla).  At a guess maybe headphone signal level is classed as
line level - anyone who knows better please jump in.

The Verbzilla (I love mine) is an instrument level device intended to be
used with guitars, other guitar effects, preamps and amplifiers.
But not really intended to drive your headphones, nor plug straight into
a mixer or PA without some kind of DI or line booster... although you
can get away with it.

Personally I don't use an amplifier with my main rig, instead I either
use line level stereo monitors, or a mixer plugged into whatever sound
reinforcement is appropriate... including it's headphone output.
To get the best out of my chain of stereo effects I had a custom stereo
line booster made to go at the end of the chain.   It provides the
correct line levels giving a clean loud signal for the mixer, monitors,
PA etc.   Before I wised up I plugged my FX chain directly into my
mixer, then I had to turn the faders right up, but this resulted in a
lackluster sound with a lot of background noise, not much fun.

I suggest using the instrument output of your guitar into the Verbzilla
as intended.  Then the Verb's output into a headphone amp or mini amp.
The Dan Electro HoneyTone is a pretty good sounding mono amp given it's
price and size, a few useful controls and has a headphone output.  A few
years ago before I got a mixer and monitors for my rig, I used a pair of
HoneyTones for stereo effects which was kind of fun for a while.

There are pricier more sophistocated headphone amps that would serve you
well, so it's really up to you.

Cheers
-- G.