Let's Talk Tuning!!!! Electronic, Acoustic, Challenges.

Hello List,

First, thanks for all your input on my noise posting. I must say the biggest change was separating my power cables from the audio cables!

Onto Tuning Now

Background: I have always relied on happy accidents or not cared about tuning. I like wild electronic music and world music with alternative tunings and it never seemed to matter. Also, since I mix in random sounds like toys or records, tuning is impossible to control. Recently, I have decided that I want more expressive control over what I am saying. I am trying to tune together an analogue drum machine which can't hold tune but makes kick ass basslines, a psaltery and kalimba. I am seriously pulling out my hair with this challenge. I want to pull it off but it t'ain't looking so good!

Questions (Clearly Subjective!)

- Is there a tolerable amount of cents you can be off when trying to be in key?

- When mixing in non-traditional sounds together, how disturbing is it to listeners if tunings are loose?

http://margaretnoble.net/