Re: Hardware Looper goes Loopy for Software

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:24 PM, L.Angulo<labaloops@yahoo.com> wrote:

>i wish though somebody would make a brief youtube explanation video of
>all of this for those who are using hardware and want to do the
>>transition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbYirSi08m4

"Unfortunately, one can be told what The Matrix is.  You have to see
it for yourself."

I spent a lot of time reading though Per's posts and trolling the
internet for clues, but really in the end I had to just dive in.
You'll cry.  That's natural...but then comes the healing. (and then
some looping!)

Some rules of thumb...

No one can show you what to do because you're setup and technique are
probably unique. Your computer/software setup will likely not be like
mine at all.

Join or lurk on kvraudio.com.  There are people there who are wise
beyond your imagination... ok, not really but very smart.

Buy as much computer as you can afford.  You'll find it's max no
matter what it is, but it doesn't hurt to aim high.

Laptop only if you're really going to gig with it.  One with a
dedicated video card is best.

Firewire is better than USB2, but there's a good chance if you don't
have a Texas Instruments or Lucent chipset it won't work at all.

You'll be tempted to keep a lot of your hardware but it just
ultimately gets in the way most of the time.

XP is better than Vista, but both will work fine and need to be
wrangled and tamed. (see post about the sweetwater faq)

Be careful of 64 bit operating systems that aren't OSX.  Your software
will run but you may not be able to find 64 bit drivers for your
hardware.

I don't know Bidule, but with Live you can make a system that's 100% mouse
free.

Two monitors are best.  Imagine having to look at all your gear though
a 20x13 frame.

Put aside a little money for Kleenex, but keep in mind that when it
comes together you'll wonder how you ever did it any other way.