Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

I don't think it has to be one or the other.

For me its 2 things: situation, and purpose.

I often am in the position where I have to "win over" an audience in
my allotted 30 minutes (and often in the 1st 2 minutes!). That means,
every minute is composed. I play the best versions of my best songs.
The songs I play in those situations are ones that I have composed and
have rehearsed for maybe a 100 hours or more.

If I'm playing my own concerts, for my own audience (i.e. NOT as
opening act), I will make sure my program has a couple structured
improvs that I might have mapped out vaguely before and at least one
who-the-heck-knows-where-this-is-going improvisation. (I did it in
April with Charles Rus from the San Francisco symphony...the 1st time
he'd improvised in public!)

When I improvise though, I'm still really careful to never go over 7
minutes. I like to keep things short and end decisively.

Also...its worth noting that both Immi and I are classically trained.
In the classical world, um, everything is composed beforehand! We
don't tend to think that is weird.
I don't play classical that often right now but I can play the same
piece over and over and over again, classical or my own or a rock
song... and the emotions feel new every time. If it didn't feel that
"something", uniquely, every time I play the same song, then I would
not play it... because I'd be cheating the audience.

So in the classical world, not only is it normal to have everything
pre-composed, but one must rehearse over and over and over and
over....something I'm a strong believer in.

So Rick, don't worry about it! You'll still be yourself. You should do
both.