Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

Just on the note of Classical music being precomposed and Bach's name
creeping up, let us not forget that while that may be predominantly the
case
that classical music is from the score, Bach's fugues, to my knowledge,
and
correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure that I am correct on this,
were exercises to improvise with. (check that out for a run on)

I have never really gotten over the "authenticity" issue surrounding
scored
works, but that's another conversation. I guess, like most things in life,
never mind music, a healthy balanced diet is key. So, while preprepared
can
be quite fruitful in terms of performance, it can also provide a vehicle
for
improvisation. Pre written motifs can be explored in terms of all their
musical cues, and that really facinates me in this day and age and with
the
technology we have to manipulate proximity, pitch, timbre etc. Following
on
from what Per has said, I think it is important to explore "all relations
between melodies, scales, chords". But prior knowledge calls into question
as to whether or not we are really dealing with Improvisation?!

Here's a link on Improvisation and the great composers that I found quite
interesting: http://ericbarnhill.wordpress.com/facts-about-improvisation/

Ricardo