Re: Missing the third dimension (II)

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM, <rune_fagereng@yahoo.no> wrote:
> I misses depth and three dimensions in my recording.

Hey - you should visit some person that is good at mixing music and
ask him/her to solo the individual channels for you. Then you will in
a flash of enlightenment realize how strange and bizarre each
instrument is made to sound on its own in order to sound good in
ensemble i.e. in the mix. This knowledge is terribly difficult to
achieve on your own by trial and error practicing, almost impossible,
because you will only know if you did it correctly when it sounds good
at the very end of the process. And if you did just one mistake in the
earlier stages of the process it won't sound good at the end and then
there is no way finding out what the mistake was.

Also remember the psychological dimension; mixing is not first about
frequencies and levels. The main goal is to cheat the listeners brain
to interpret the sounds in a certain way. That's where the magic
starts. Knowing the theory and mastering the technology is just a
tool.

Best regards

per boysen