Re: hardware vs software - this time from a blind man's view (was "Re: two little guitar loops")

A response from my friend:

Yes it can be done. I don't know if it's a tri-color LED you speak of
or 3 separate LEDs. Doesn't matter too much really. You would probably
want to pick off the LED outs and buffer them though because an LED
generally draws about 20ma and some motors(to vibrate) will draw more
than that and also you want  to be careful because when the motor
starts up it creates a back voltage as a spike so that has to be
rectified.
The problem is you'd need the device to modify it. There are also a
million ways you could have it do something else besides LEDs.
If he wants a Pro mod,I'd be into it,but if he just wants something
slapped together,I wouldn't do it.
Addendum: oh wait,I looked at the device;that's a shit load of LEDs.
Why not a braille device interfaced? I wonder if those individual
buttons can be found in a midi command hidden somewhere. That would
make it easier.

If you want, I can forward your email to him and if you're up for a
custom job he'd be the man who could make it happen.  He made a mod
for me that used the light from a Repeater's tempo indicator to send
tap information to a Lexicon Vortex.  He's quite handy.