Re: OT: 10,000 hours

Doing a quick bit of basic mental maths I reckon I've done an average
of, at the minimum, 1 hour a day practice (not counting rehearsals and
gigs!) for the last 39 years (more when I was a student, less when I
was in my late 20s/30s, and more these days!!).

So I make that about 14,000 hours.

Does that mean I'm great?  (-;

Actually my very first classical violin teacher (when I was 7) used to
say that it took 7 years to get to a point where one could really get
around the violin. Really though I think it's impossible to put a
figure on it, at least in terms of years. Perhaps the hours figure is
a more useful gauge, but so much depends on the quality of the
practice and not the quantity (as anyone who has given instrumental
lessons will know!).

Meanwhile I'll content myself with the thought that although I may now
be classed as officially great, I'm still learning!

Keep practicing.........

Steve

ps. with regard to being a prodigy, one reply has already cited
Mozart. Maybe his really great works came later in his short life, but
there's got to be something special that allowed him to do pretty
amazing musical feats at a very early age. I would also mention
Mendelssohn who, for instance, wrote the incredible Octet for Strings
at the age of 16.

Although I guess if he worked 8 hours a day, 7 days a week on his
music he could clock his 10,000 hours in less than 4 years......!