Re: living without money(O.T.)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Toby G <carpet8@mac.com> wrote:
Actually nurses and garbage collectors make quite good money.  Not kidding.  I think you should try living here before you knock the U.S. so much.  Same deal with me--I should try living in different countries too.

Actually, you weŽnt to know, but I HAVE lived in the US... plus IŽve lived in Spain, Thailand, currently reside in Norway and come from the UK,  I like to move around! (next stop Morocco I think, or India)

The people I work with (in electronics) mostly don't have college degrees and they make pretty good money.  Although they're hardly "cultured" (most went through the military), they are decent people and seem pretty happy.  And most are quite interested in music.

Indeed, the military can provide some great education, especially in the fields of communication, electronics, plus good people skills. Not for me tho, and hardly a viable alternative to college for most. But I agree, not all are striving for fame and fortune. I was really responding to Marks observation that in the US, status seems more important than education, you can argue with that statements truth of course, but I tried to explain why, if it was a true statement, that might be. Generally speaking I have found that the populace of the US that I have met to be well educated, liberal, and a hell of a lot nicer than most people in Europe (who have NOT been to the US) are led to believe, this is due to YOUR TV programs, that are piped into European homes on more than half MY channels at least. When I look at CNN, and Lives of the rich and famous, and 60 Minutes and Cribs.. (to quote a helluva mixture) I can see where most of Europe gets their views on the U, S of A. I tell them... your are wrong... GO THERE and see for yourself... Them Yanky folk are lovely!!! But this TV is what you are piping  at yourself too!!! Un less theres some secret channels that I dont know know about, or saw when I was there...

thats all.. basicaly I agree with you!

www.markfrancombe.com
http://vimeo.com/user825094
http://uk.youtube.com/user/markfrancombe