More Tonal Theory: Arppegiators/Accent/Melody

Hello List,

I am having a blast with Delay/Arpeggiators in Logic. I love getting accidental melodies/harmonies from playing with the steps. So for example:

I have an arpeggiator/delay that takes whatever sound comes in and plays it at:

1. Normal Pitch
2. 4 semi-steps up
3. 7 semi-steps up

and then

4. 11 semi-steps up

I think I am trying to mimic a chord construction or something to that effect. It is great with simple, quick sounds but gets a little busy/conflicting in tone with more fed into it. So, I need to simplify it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on semi-step configuration where I could get some melodic accidents that would be pretty safe within any given key structure.

(Pardon me if my music theory sounds weak, IT IS!) :-)

http://margaretnoble.net/