Re: Livelooping with a band..amazing!

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Krispen Hartung<info@krispenhartung.com>
wrote:
> Well, I thought I was going to sneak in and get out, but apparently, the
>LD
> blackhole has me hooked again! :)  Here we go again. :)

No one get's out of here that easily, you should know that :-)

> Of cource, what I said is odd.  Some wouldn't expect otherwise. It was
> partly in jest. I'd say the same thing about traditional jazz, country,
>or
> any past genre.   The thing is, you can probabl find this style of music
>and
> other prior genres  in museums of music, mainly because, well....it's
> history. There is nothing wrong with that.  I appreciate it and think
>people
> should still play it. I even play it once in a while.  I think it needs
> be preserved, so that people can see history in action in the current
>times.
> Is it novel, innovative and earth breaking? No. But that is another
>matter
> and discussion all together. I think people should continue to play music
> like this, in the same way I think people should study history and
>learned
> what has been done before.

I hope I didn't come off as offended or overly serious in that
response.  What I meant was that I don't see how one can consider live
music to ever be just a historical curiosity.  When music is performed
by humans, it is happening at that very moment and as such is a living
representation of that moment (if the performers are indeed trying to
do more than simply play the right notes in sequence and even then
sometimes magic sneaks in and creates something 'more' of it).
Basically I think that every performance creates a world of
possibility and is open to what I think of as grace and when that
happens, there is nothing like it; its quintessentially timeless and
representative of now simultaneously.  So I'm put off by the thought
that one could consider any music 'dead' and ready to be put in
storage.

Basically I guess I feel that when 'Music' happens, it is novel,
innovative and earth shattering and much much more regardless of the
shell it came to earth in.  The most ground breaking technically
complex and new music can just as easily be a historical document of
the past as a simple 12 bar blues IMO; its all in the energy that
infuses the performance.

Kevin

--
Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Sound and Vision:  http://www.minds-eye.org NEW SITE 3/01/09