Re: in ear MICRO-phones, binaural audio (was: toys for non-musicians)

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 mark@markfrancombe.com wrote:
> in ear MICRO-phones, but thats another thread..

Would love to hear about other's experiences with binaurals?

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se

Then Im ya man Per... I have been recording binaural recordings for about 20 years... I started after researching what TG was using in the 80īs (Throbbing Gristle) and also built many pairs of mikes for in ear recording... the best I had were a sennheiser set which actaully came with a dummy head. I have many hours of field recordings done with them... and for a while recorded some gigs using the technique.. not so impressive... unless you LIKE hearing the bar conversation...

I have alsop recorded a totally techno record, but where all the samples (drums basss weird noises) were recorded binaurally and put into my sample in stereo as micor binaural chunks... I have made reverb tracks, by bringing a ghetto balster to reverby places and say opposite, recording the reverb binaurally with in ear mikes... for later addition to the mix...

Art.. i checked out you page.. you really took it seriously.. I never bother to make miine pretty... I just stuck em in my ears!! (with a bit of BluTack) and into my minidisk recorder...

I cant speak for the "psychedelic" effects of "being there-ness"  Im pretty certain my zoom h4 sounds basically the same, without the dummy head thing, by using crossed mike phase stuff...

For serious audio weidness in this vein, get Psychic TV - Dreams Less Sweet. Recorded using the Zucurelli Holophonic method... which I dont know what it is, but appears to be Binaural but with a mysterious black box between the head and the desk... what that box contains was a secret... (Im wiki-ing as I type) but anyway was the scariest record for many years for me... Check out the Rotweiler growling in your ear, while a Salvation Army Band marches past... Check out the Choir boy who walks all the way round you, and check out the (yes it was 1983, height of Goth... ) dummy binaural head being buried... yes buried in a coffin... in a genuine graveyard...

go figure...

www.markfrancombe.com
http://vimeo.com/user825094
http://uk.youtube.com/user/markfrancombe