Re: Review: Jomox T-Resonator "Time Woven Filter Matrix"

Rainer Straschill wrote:
> Andy Butler asked:
> "...but isn't a Moog type analog filter?
> If you're familiar with the Moog, how do they compare."
>
> The Moog filter is a circuit realized with (I believe Ge) diodes,
> while the T-Resonator uses a transistor-based design. So no, it isn't
> a moog-circuit for the filter.

Moog invented/used a ladder arrangement of transistors such as is found
here
under the heading "resonant filter"

http://www.jayemsonic.de/2l4-resonanteneuronen.html

as that's  the page of one of the Jomox designers
I'm guessing that the filter in the *Resonator* might be
the same.
In essence, the filter boxes are like their neural network synthesizers
but with only 2 neurones.

Your mention of Germanium might be the key to the difference though.

> I haven't taken the time to actually measure the complex frequency
> response, but by inspection:
> The filter seems much more correct by good circuit design standards -
> which doesn't mean it sounds better. The most important difference is
> that it's next to impossible to get the filter to distort in the
> screaming moog-style way. However, including a distortion stompbox in
> your setup can help with that.
>
> "A moog filter can oscillate with a lovely delicate silvery tone, as
> long as resonance is tweaked carefully.
> Can the T-Res manage that? "
>
> As above: no, because it won't distort the same way as a moog filter.

Perhaps I should rephrase.
Can the T-Res sustain a pure sounding sine wave by resonance
and not always end up with a loud distorted tone?

Actually, the Moog filter I have is incredibly clean and accurate
when not overloaded.
Very noticeable in that sounds with high resonance are still very clean.

:-) or that's how it sounds to me anyway

Anyway, to sustain a tone by resonance at low level there must
be a subtle non-linearity, so I agree that if the "way it distorts"
is different then the oscillation sound has to be different.

> The filter oscillation (in negative feedback) is more theremin-like

distorted?

> Now that I had a few more days to play with it, here's some additional
> comment to my first post:
>
> The trick really is to not use it as a stereo device, but to patch the
> output of channel 1 into the input of channel 2 and, if you like so,
> to put a (analogue - 'cause of headroom you might require) distortion
> box in between.
> This does not only work great for working on rave-like synth lines (as
> I mentioned in my last post), but also for no-input noise settings.
> By careful combination of envelope, lfo, feedback and delay effect
> settings, you can create really odd chaotic settings - like just the
> T-Resonator delievering short low-frequency pulses at a constant
> 130bpm rate, and after a ever-changing, non-systematic number of
> pulses generating a filter-sweeping scream (which, although it sounds
> different, even you as a Moog filter lover would enjoy).

sounds like fun, so you're putting a distortion box into a feedback path.

It sounds like you'd enjoy

http://www.jomox.com/product_details.php?lang=2&category=2&product_id=9

> Again, perhaps I'll do some video - perhaps tomorrow will be a good day.

Many thanks for the report Rainer.
I'm thinking of recommending this to a friend who's into creating
music with feedback, ...but always delicate tones,
so hence the picky questions.

Looking forward to your vid if it happens.

andy