Re: OT: music from nature

looppool@cruzio.com wrote:
 > I love how he attached his stethoscope to a microphone.
>  I split open it's plastic chord and inserted a small
> lavalier microphone
> from radio shack but I'm not entirely please with the results.
> It's not picking up the really low frequencies that you can hear with the
> stethoscope,
> unfortunately.

Possibly you just need a better mic ;-)
Actually, a cheap electret usually has a deep bass response,
but I wonder if you'd get overload distortion.
If it's a cheap dynamic, then likely
you're expecting a bit much from it.
Also, lavalier mics tend to have a large dip put
into the bass response to reduce the chest resonance
you'd get from hanging a mic round your neck.

In uk, we have very cheap karaoke mics available in the bargain shops.
(balanced o/p for £1 or so in one case)
If you can get such a thing in US, then a good idea might be
to remove the capsule from one and use that.

andy