Composition & Improvisation (was Re: Terje Rypdal was ECM guitarists)

When I was last in conscious recording mode -- as opposed to, the
recorder happens to be running while I'm playing -- the approach I
found myself taking was to improvise until I found something I liked,
then hone in on various elements of it playing the "piece" repeatedly
until I had the flow down, then record it possibly doing a couple
takes while doing so. Having then committed the piece to some form of
recording medium, I would then proceed to let it flow back out of my
brain which was fine until I found myself in a live performance
situation with no material to fall back on.

Mark