Re: Where do you place Reverb(s)? Pre/Post-Looper?

Interesting question.

It depends mostly (I suppose) on whether you are looping one sound source
or many.

If one (say guitar) then you can safely put the reverb at the tail end of
things - after the looper and it will work fine (so long as you want your
guitar sounds and your loops sounds to have the same type of reverb
applied to them).

If more than one (say flute AND voice AND percussion AND whatever) you
might want to have different kinds of reverb and different amounts of it
on each of these - you may want your flute to sound lush, your voice to
sound dry and your percussion to have a bit of gated verb on it.

Assuming you're using just one looper for all of that that would
necessarily mean it all has to happen BEFORE the looper.

The main problem with reverb before looper situations is that sometimes
the end of the loop will noticeably cut off a long reverb tail and make
your loop sound a little less "seamless" - so care must be exercised.

Then there are weirdos like me who want it both ways.

If you have enough gear in your kit that you can have reverb BEFORE and
AFTER your loops - just use the AFTER to ad a tiny little ambient "air" or
"space" to the whole "ensemble" (nice if you are in a particularly dry
performance space) this also can help "gloss over" some of those cut-off
reverb tails and give the whole thing a "finished" sound.

But that's probably waaaay ovrkill for most folks.

It's half the reason my rack set-ups got so huge over the years.

Hope some of this helps.

tEd ® kiLLiAn

Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims
he intends to eat until he eats them. – Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)

http://www.pfmentum.com/PFMCD007.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://guitarplayer.com/article/y2k6-international-live/Jun-07/27768

Ted Killian's "Flux Aeterna" is also available at Apple iTunes

---- Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:

=============
Hi folks

I was always wondering: where do you place your reverb(s) in your
looper/effect chain?

I have the following more specific questions:
- Could it make sense to put a general reverb _after_ the looper?
- Does reverb cause trouble in post-looper fx processing?
- Does it work out to chain reverbs after another (i.e. additional reverb
on background vocals)?
- How do you bring together delay and reverb in your fx chain - if at all?

Would like to hear your general ideas related to reverb + looping.
Probably this topic is more related to software looping with it's routing
options - and CPU limitations.

best regards
Buzap