Re: Mainstage looping rig screen/functionality design - post screen shots!

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com> wrote:
cool patch names... may you elaborate what's going on in those.

Generally every patch starts with a gainer plug-in used for closing the input from an expression pedal to minimize acoustic PA feedback and leakage into overdubbing loops.

Then there is an EQ to give the instrument input sound a facelift (depending on what the next effects are).

Then there use to be a delay, usually the SoundToys Echoboy that is set to freeze the audio input from the same expression pedal that is used to silence the input - but cross faded! So as I close the input the sound I just made in the mic is frozen. Since this is not a digital delay but a simulation of an analog tape delay (Echoboy) the sound degenerates over time, a process that reminds me of some Harold Budd treatments Brian Eno did.

After the "hanging Echoboy cloud" comes a Phase Mistress (or similar) that is controlled by a second expression pedal. Different patches have this stage set to different rhythmic values, related to the main tempo. So by swapping through patches one can easily create bouncing soundscapes to punch in to loops (all this is pre looper).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com