Re: Kelstone

Raul,
thank you very much for the precious infos

fabio
www.eterogeneo.com

2009/10/13 Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com>
hi fabio & per,

yes, the ns/stick half fretless looks gorgeous. i've been also tempted to go fretless for a long time, but thought of a regular bass for simplicity. i second per's opinion on the number of strings, but i would add, both versions (12/10/etc or 8) are some kind of different beasts. this may not look so obvius at first sight, but your brain faces them quite differently, and the learning curve is noticeably longer with the grands, above all, if you adopt different tunings for each side. the range is similar in all 8,10,12 models. i use the "crafty" tuning (lowest to highest=BbFCGDACD) which covers the entire range on a 34-inch scale. for details, check out jim wright's tunings page on http://www.warrzone.com/touchstyle_tunings/ (scroll down to find the tuning blog entry). a good advise would be, get the cheapest you can find, and then move on. all brands, stick enterprises, warrguitars, markus' touchguitars, etc .. make quality instruments these days. i just prefer the guitar-like instruments (warr, ns/stick, touchguitars, ...) for playability. it's a bit tricky to play strumming on a vertical position :-)...

as in your case, i come from a piano background and this made the jump more comfortable, i think. it seems keyboard players adopt two-handed method better than guitar/bass players, since they drag some bad habits from their old axe times.

stringed instruments teach you better than keyboards.

raül.

p.s. by the way, we formed a study group touchguitarcircle.com leaded by markus reuter, and i can't think of a better place to start with the tapping instruments. we use to organize meetings and seminars all over the year. alan rosola, from rodengo (italy) joined this past summer with his stunning warr. you can find him on facebook too.