freeze effect

Everything everyone else said was true, Gilmour does it really well but I believe he has his signal path split and uses a volume pedal before the effect that creates his ambient washes. I achieve a similar effect creating a short blank loop with feedback set between 0% and 50% depending on how long the loop is (shorter loops needing longer decay times generally speaking). Then I play a note or chord and hit overdub after the initial attack (or use a volume knob swell, or line 6 swell delay effect) which softens the sound of the loop point. I can play a not, let it drone while I play over it and as it fades away I can add something else.  I like using this technique with the Looperlative’s scramble function to create a jittery sounding back drop that I can continually add to as the original content is fading away, I think Moebius has a similar effect. Also, any digital delay that allows you to control the input signal that is feeding it (many rack mount and plugin delays can do this) could be accessed via an expression pedal CC command. These will yield similar results, that of the notes sustaining for a protracted length of time, but may not be the freeze control you seek.

Bill