Re: looping with albeton live

Ableton has the most byzantine pricing structure I've ever seen. I
can't figure out how much it will cost me to add Max for Live.

I can buy it for $299 from ableton. ouch.

It also appears that if you ever owned a version of Max, you can just
pay the price to upgrade to Max 5. I bought Max back in the 80s from
Opcode, and I'm licensed for version 3.6. I can upgrade to Max 5 for
$129 plus the $99 I'd still have to pay Ableton for the "crossgrade."
But the pricing page for Max for Live seems to imply that I need
Max/MSP, which would cost me $299 from cycling '74.

Just add to the confusion, I've got an academic version of Live 8, but
there doesn't seem to be academic pricing for Max for Live, maybe
because few people outside academia use Max.

Any way, that is a chunk of change.

I would recommend the upgrade to Live 8. The looper is nice. I like
how you get a lot of functionality off of one foot switch.

--
Art Simon
simart@gmail.com