Re: OT: zen for beginners

> How much does he know about Zen already?
>
> When I was 15, the book I kept going back to again and again was
> "The Zen Experience" by Thomas Hoover.  It's more a history book --
> charting Zen from its beginnings with the original sutras,
> Kumarijiva's concept of Void, and Bodhidharma's journey out of India
> to China.  It explains the philosophical theories while describing
> the lives and beliefs of each of Zen's Patriarchs as the religion
> morphed from Indian Mahayana Buddhism, into the North and South
> schools of Chinese Ch'an, and finally the Rinzai and Soto Zen sects
> of Japan.

If it's history your friend is interested in, you're going to want to
buy something much more recent than Hoover, for one thing. More
importantly, you'll want to buy a book with some scholarly merit. Look
at books by John McRae ("Seeing Through Zen") or Bernard Faure, for
instance--both Chan/Zen scholars at the top of their field.

My .02

Jeff