Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video?

Great question Matthias!

I have had consistent philosophical problems aligning myself with the "mechanics" of looping. I HAVE a looper, which I may or may not use, depending on the landscape.  (I use it a lot.)  But I resent feeling an obligation to loop—or to somehow "feature" looping as a premise for doing what I do. (really ill-defined and uncertain even to ME.)

For me, it's always the question of ART vs. PROCESS, and I don't want to be reminded of HOW the experience is being generated.  Of course, knowing the underlying principles can give one insight into what's happening, but is it lyrical? Is it moving? Did the performer emote, or simply execute? I have no particular allegiance to genre either—I can be moved by folk music, rock, classical, 20th century, noise.

I haven't yet watched this sampler (though I will), but I have viewed a large percentage of what went down at Y2K9 and while I'm very interested because I have a history with some great and inspiring people here at LD, I'm not particularly drawn to the results generated collectively.  There are some I would pay to go see if they were playing a gig, and I would hope that fact is encouraging.

I personally feel that the Y2K events and other "looping" gatherings are more of an industry thing—a tooltime, insider deal . . . and each performer involved still needs to take their process back into the real, world without a net and function independently and artistically without explanation.  It ultimately has to come back to making art and moving hearts.

Mikko Biffle
Biffoz@Gmail.com
http://www.reverbnation.com/biffoz
"Running scared from all the usual distractions!"