Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video?

Hi Andy,
It's always good to know what other people think and what their own
experience is.

Andy butler wrote:
> ;-) imo, more often than not people buy a ticket because they think
> lot's of other people are buying a ticket.

Never thought about it like that. I think I have said to Rainer in the
past that it would be fantastic but very difficult if we could ever
reach the milestone of 100 paying visitors for a loopfest in it's
current format.

> Perhaps we should fake a loop fest video with a massive
> stadium attendance.

I'm sure there are people on this list who are very creative with video ;-)

> I respect your choice, while thinking that live looping offers a lot more
> than ambient.
> (and also a lot more than "chord backing" looping)

That's true, there are a lot of interesting loopers out there. l
choose ambient for 2010 as the main genre or theme because I think
ambient and looping go well together. That is, of course, a matter of
taste taste, but I personally prefer a musician who is able to use his
looper as an instrument and create a magical atmosphere with it.
Perhaps sound sculpture is a better word for this and that's an
important selection criteria for the Antwerp loopfest. But it's not
really strict. I'm trying to program acts with complementary genre's.
Honestly, if I would have the time, I would like to do a loopfest of 3
days, each with a specific theme, for example Ambient, Jazz/Funk/Pop
and Experimental.

> quite likely I wouldn't play myself ( don't
> do that much ambient, and rarely to a concert audience).

It's difficult to play yourself and organize a festival at the same
time. That's one of the reasons I've decreased the number of artists
from 8 to 6 on the festival.

> If you're pulling in the crowds with the "ambient" as a selling point,
>then
> that's great.

I hope it will work, but I'm not sure. We'll know in a few years,
there will definitely a 2011 edition too ;-)

> If there's such a thing as a livelooping brand,
> and let's face it some of us are making efforts to
> ensure that there is, then please lets be careful not
> the get it equated with ambient...which after all, already
> has it's own brand name.

That's a good point. That's why it crossed my mind to change the name
of my own festival.

> At Norwich main fest, which has an audience which I imagine is fairly
> representative of regular music fans, the acts that
> went down best with the crowd were Matt Stevens ( guitar with song type
> structure),

Definitely, same here. Song type structures are more accessible than
soundscape or experimental stuff. Both Luis and Akim got very good
response of the audience.

> ...but same audience had no trouble tolerating Per, Michael Peters
> and myself. (and MP was wonderfully way out that day).

Both Michael and Per know that I'm a big fan of them ;-)

> This was tried by Bernhard Wagner, in Zurich in '05.
> I seem to remember that the conclusion drawn was that it
> didn't work.
> Press coverage focussed on the "real" acts, thinking us loopers
> to be irrelevant.
> A lot of audience left when the "main acts" came on.

I met Bernard this summer, but we haven't talked much about Zurich
'05. Interesting to hear that he tried it, didn't know that. Well, it
might simply not work, haven't tried it yet.

> What would be better would be if you could convince a promoter
> to take on a few loop acts as support.

I've been thinking of that too. Actually, I know loopers who have been
playing as support act , Zoe is an example. I went to see her last
year when she was touring with Amanda Palmer, but found out that she
had left the tour just before the gig I attended ;-)

> When he played Norwich Cathedral on a soundscape tour I
> think it's even possible he didn't get paid.
> If I remember right, the event was free admission.
> (and there wasn't a large attendance).

Wow, Fripp in your hometown? :) I was in the US when he was touring
with Porcupine Tree last October.

> If you really wanted him to play, then why not simply invite
> him? ...only costs you an email.

Why not? Always look on the bright site of life isn't it? It's worth
trying and it would be fantastic if someone of his level would attend
a loopfest.
---
Sjaak Overgaauw
http://premonitionfactory.com/