Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video?

Already some time ago, Matthias asked (regarding Jim's video):
 > while watching, I asked myself and would like to ask you all:
 > Who is going to watch this?

For that specific video: people who were at the festival, and who have a
taste in music similar to Jim?

I haven't been at that specific festival, but I have been watching the
stream (in parts) and the recorded videos (browsing through them and
diving into what seemed interesting to me).
The video does not show the quality of both some of the artists and of
the stilistic diversity properly - no wonder, cramming like twelve hours
into eight minutes will have you either focus on your personal faves, or
only grant a brief glimpse of each artist.

But hey, I'm here with the majority of the commenters: I wouldn't go to
a looping festival as an audience member, even if I knew what "looping"
means. This makes as much sense as making a music festival of
"performers who were born on Christmas Eve" or something.
Sjaak's approach does make sense, but as Andy so rightfully said, it
does not make sense to call it a "Looping Festival" if it's an ambient
festival where the performers all use loopers - you don't call Wacken or
FullForce a drumming festival, only because all of the metal/hardcore
acts have a drummer. (1)

So then, does it make sense to do a looping festival? Perhaps more as a
community event. Or an ambient festival focused on looping artists?
Perhaps more so, because audience can identify with the "ambient"
moniker and can ignore the looping thing (as Sjaak said).
I already had this discussing with Rick Walker where I told him that I
don't consider myself a "looper", to which he replied (and I'm
paraphrasing here) that's odd, with all the looping music I do, looping
festivals I play and input I give to LD.

So much for some unordered thoughts - if there's a synthesis to be drawn
from this:
1. doing a "looping festival" does not make sense - except as a
community event.
2. if you're doing a looping festival focusing on ambient, call it
"ambient", not "looping". You owe that if not to your audience then to
all them loopers who don't do that boring washes of sound for hours *g*.

             Rainer

(1) As a matter of fact, I'm not sure that all of the acts which
attended Wacken or With Fulll Force Festival ever did have a drummer.
This was more posted as an example, and frankly, I assume they do have.