a simple airline security report and my humble travel strategy.

I saw that there was a concern here from Erdem and others about upcoming changes in security, and i read Zoe's response as well.  Since I traveled just yesterday, I thought I'd chime in with my view of the 'changes', and my plan going forward, which hasn't changed a bit (yet), but has served me well for a number of years.

Here's a report on my trip yesterday:  No changes whatsoever, not even so much as a patdown.  I don't think that the basics are going change all that much at security. Really, with the advent of Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, we had to go shoeless through security, that's pretty much it.  Now, with the advent of the underwear bomber, we'll probably have to go pantsless or underwearless through security.  This does not affect laptops and gear. No matter how many wires are in my carry on, I just don't get hassled for some reason, unless for a quick swab of the interface or laptop. (once again, SO FAR)

Although my troublefree flight was domestic and not international, I thought it might be interesting to share with you all how I travel since I do it often and haven't had one speck of trouble (knock on wood) for many years.  Unlike Zoe, my instrument is not big enough to be in question, and I now carry no rack hardware at all but have it rented on the gig if necessary.  It's just three pieces I travel with.  My violin, a rolling camera bag, and a rolling soft bag.

It seems to me that three pieces is pretty much the equation for an instrumentalist who isn't carrying a rack.  I usually go out for at least a week at a time, so I need to have a bag which doubles as a clothes carrier and gear carrier, rather than a rack which I'm trying to stuff clothes in.

I long ago bought the smallest case possible for my violin, and it's light but rugged, always fits up top, never a problem, in 25 yrs, never been asked to check it.  Well, once, but that was in Europe, and a little finesse in conversation got me on without a problem.  I carry my laptop, Nikon and lenses, audio interface, cables and wires in a camera bag which rolls or is a backpack.  (Tenba, I'd make a different choice next time just cuz of the wheel base)

Whenever I hit a small plane where things won't fit, I just take my laptop out of the bag and gate check it, I have yet to find an overhead which doesn't fit my fiddle easily, and yes, I'd take another flight rather than check it, but fight like hell to stay on the one I got. Flight attendants in my my humble experience have done everything to be helpful, even standing it up in the closet sometimes when it got crowded.

And my FCB1010 and Monome or Launchpad or whatever, and my Laptop Stand goes underneath in a soft but huge all purpose bag from ebags.com, called the Motherlode, surrounded with clothing as padding.

Through extensive travel over the past 4 years, this has served me well.  Before that i was carrying my FCB1010, wireless ears and audio interface in a Pelikan rifle case.  Anyone need one of those, lol? That was when there was not a charge for taking two bags...

For what it's worth, I hope it's helpful.  I do know that Erdem is a hardware guy and I believe he packs in a combination of Pelikan and suitcases, right, Erdem?  Costs a lot for the extra bags, but Erdem I don't think anyone will bother you with the stuff underneath the plane, no matter how much hardware it is.

I wish you all great holidays, a sparkling and prosperous New Year, both artistically and personally, and always look forward to the edification I get from the posts on the list!

Cheers,

Todd

--
http://twitter.com/digifiddler