Re: hardware to software

Quoting William Walker <billwalker@baymoon.com>:
> The way I
> have been using Quantize replace is to create a short blank loop and
> then start adding content one note at a time using quantize replace
> set to 1/16th. ...I'm able to create percolating sequencer
> style parts  that emerge from a non rhythmic  beginning.

I enjoy doing the same thing with my LP1 and I use he LP1's MIDI Clock
to trigger envelope generators to achieve the "percolating sequencer
style parts".  I have had great results using the LP1 with my Aries
Modular Synth.

However, I need to use laptop based looping for my theremin works.  To
play a gestural-controlled instrument such as the theremin and to
accomplish concise and complex looping just hasn't worked for me.
Thus, everything is scripted and I have to play in-sync with the
computer to make everything work.

My laptop failures were due to an impending hard-disk crash that I,
unfortunately, I didn't recognize (I assumed it was overheat problems).

In the meantime, I'm backing up my system to NAS and will soon acquire
an additional hard drive to which I will copy the entire system.  If I
have a hard-drive failure on the road, I can pop in the backup disk
drive and proceed.

Thus, I haven't given up on laptop-based looping but am endeavoring to
mitigate the risks involved.

-- Kevin