Re: OT: how to get ambient sound in IEM?

Per,

Thanks for the the info! One of the reasons why I like the IEM so much is that I can listen to a click track for the looper that the audience doesn't hear. Also, what I discovered the other night, if we're improvising I can silence the output that the audience hears until I figure out something that's going to sound good. ;) Besides the fact that I can totally control how much volume I'm exposing my ears to, which is also very important.

I'm surprised that Sensaphonics is the only company that makes an IEM solution that has built-in ambient mics. It's a really trick solution, where the mics are actually in the earbuds, and deliver a normal hearing experience (i.e. with full 3-D cues as to where sound is coming from). It's designed to let you talk on stage with other musicians etc.

But I found that the system starts at 2000USD! Pretty freaking expensive.

-George