Re: Video Streaming Services - Status and Survey

From: "Jeff Duke" <jeff_d@embarqmail.com>
> I also have used all three services. The only thing I can add is that
> Livestream's studio does not have to be opened to broadcast. I can just
> start the FME and it starts broadcasting. This is good for me because I
> also use Manycam for copious amounts of video fx (yes, I am one of
>those).
> The cpu load is much less with Livestream than it is with Ustream
>because
> of this. Ustream, as Rainer said has to have it's own broadcast window
> open and connected with the FME before broadcasting. This was my least
> favorite thing about Ustream. I recently had an issue with Ustream not
> broadcasting stereo but this may have been a fluke.

I cannot seem to get ustream to broadcast in stereo.  Here's what I've got
running for the latest shows:

*Line In, definitely stereo.
*FLStudio 9, using a variety of sound samples and the Tapeworm mellotron
sim; and in the latest tests I just ran a pattern with a single drum hit
using its onboard ping-pong delay.

This through ustream's encoder (the FME is not selectable, and when the
checkbox is selected nothing happens, let alone a plugin installation as
their 'help' graphics show.  No answer from ustream about this.

> The bandwidth limits with Livestream and the aspect ratio are it's
>biggest
> issue for some. It is not for me as I have never used anything higher
>than
> about 428 kbs total for audio/video broadcast. You have to consider the
> bandwidth of the audients connection also.

Hehehehe, you said "audients".  Hmhumhehehehehe...

> To get my channel "verified" on Livestream was very simple. Once done
>you
> can have unlimited viewers.

Perhaps I misunderstood the answer from Livestream's forum but I have to
get
more viewers to be 'verified'.  Or is that not the only criteria?

> With Livestream you can upload your own videos and also sync with your
> Youtube account. It plays on "auto pilot" 24/7. This allows me to edit
>my
> sets much better than Ustream. Ustream doesn't allow uploads.

I don't have the uploading option on Livestream, just the YouTube linkup.
Is this a paid account, Jeff?

I did have some assistance from ustream about the no-uploads problem.  I
had
placed the VSV performance in its own 'show' and wanted to merge it with
the
more-ongoing group of videos I've been doing.  You cannot do any video
management between 'shows', but one can download the FLV file, just not
upload it.  I then used my copy of VideoStudio X2 to convert it into an
AVI
file, and used MultiCam to feed it to the ustream encoder.