Re: Ditching the computer...

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Matthias Grob <matilists@gmail.com> wrote:
> wow, Kris!
> nobody answers this one?

Oh yeah - I ditched computers too. Many times! But the laptops just
keep following me like hungry alligators...

Seriously, you only have twenty four hours a day and a kadrilion notes
to play. I love playing acoustic instruments as much as playing
electric... or a looper. This morning I sent some positive thoughts to
Kris when punching the delete button because I think it is good to
sell good stuff that you don't need. Or give it away. The less stuff
you have around the more music will fit into your flow. Three piece
bands are optimal for improvised music! Go-Kris-Go!

Actually I'm about to start playing out more in a five/six piece band
where I will be putting an electronic edge to west african inspired
music that includes vocals and songs. This will mean a lot of
real-time sampling as well as playing all kind of sounds by EWI from a
laptop - but there isn't much room for advanced looping (like pitch
shifting into orchestration etc). I will just use Mainstage and its
Loopback plugin together with more tape delay style plugins since the
band is instantly grooving and I have to stay "tempo alert" while
dubbing. The point with this band is that everyone plays rather than
"catches up" on sequencers and backtracks so rather than building
loops I will constantly play through bouncing delay and filterbank
treatments. Since I play in time it will bounce back in time as long
as I keep the laptop at the same tempo as the band.... no need for
"sync" or "downbeat detecting" - just listening and playing. "The rig"
for this will rely more on nifty signal processing than on Mobius
scripting ;-))

And then I'm picking up stick playing too. I'm hoping the Chapman
Stick will let me directly play more parts pre looper. Like playing
one part with each hand where I would have to use a looper for one of
them if playing the flute. Another great bonus is being able to work
with a floating tempo

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se